The Next Martha Stewart
But Martha & I are alike in so many other ways. Take her assistants, for example. Everyone knows that she would be nowhere without them. Well, I have assistants, too. Mine just happen to be around 3 1/2 ft. & 2 ft. tall.
It was so unfortunate that there was no video camera on this morning to tape me packing up a box to ship. I had my shortest assistant helping me, and while Martha could do a great segment on what it would be like to pack a box at her house, I could have done one for the rest of the world. I'll try to describe how it went.
First, I went to the computer to print out the label. My helpful assistant was at my knee the entire time. When it was printed, I cut out the label neatly with the recently-found scissors & placed the label on the desk while I finished packing the box. Once the box was packed, I turned to retrieve the label, but my assistant had beat me to it, label in hand, now nicely crumpled and slobbered-upon. No matter--in the real world, little obstacles will come. So, I flattened it back out & dried it off the best I could. Next, I went to get the packing tape & returned to find my little assistant sitting in the box. So, I carefully removed her & began closing the flaps neatly just as she snagged the tape & took off running with it. This is where I demonstrated remaining calm in moments of mounting frustration. There would have been some great footage here of me chasing her thru the house & finally getting the tape only to find she had caused the roll to come off the dispenser & the tape closed onto itself. Here is where I would have had to cut to commercial break while I spent several minutes trying to find the start of the tape again.
So, after that, I knelt down, using my knees to hold the box together while I taped it closed, all the while with my assistant trying to climb on my back. Finally, I finished the box, which showed no evidence of the fiasco that had just transpired. It really would have been a great segment. So sorry you missed it.
As I said, I am big fan of Martha. But I could teach her a thing or two.
My two shortest assistants hard at work.
"I know my imported spices are in here somewhere!"




6 comments:
Love it! I can totally see it. And I can see Lola with her famous mouth-wide-open-laughing-at-you-look while you chased her. And Lily's hair looks beautiful in that pic. Tell me, Martha, how do you make hair grow thick and long and look brushed all day long?
I am cracking up! I can picture Lola in the box! Next time just close the box and ship her to me.
Hey Dave and Julie.It has been so nice to see you family's pics and read your blogs. They are all so cute! My Natalie is 7 now and in the 1st grade....time goes too fast. Do you have an email or is this how I keep in touch with you?
Let me know.....Janelle
Janelle!
Where have you been, Girl? :) This doesn't give your email address, so I could not reply directly, but you can email me at jcryan@rocketmail.com
We need to catch up!
Hi, Julie,
I found your blog through the TN blogging group... Your posts are great! Today, I felt right at home as a Motherly Martha wannabe!
Jeri Lynn in Kansas
OH Julie, I was laughing out loud picturing this story! I too adore Martha, I often say she saved my marriage by teaching me how to cook!!haha...this was just to cute!
Post a Comment