(mingled with cigarette smoke)
We are two days away from my second favorite holiday of the year. I love Valentine's Day. All my heart decor & Valentine garb has been out for a couple of weeks now. And the kids & I spent the night designing & constructing the annual Valentine boxes for school. My lip still quivers when I think back to Grant's 2nd grade Valentine box that was made into a rocket, complete with a little astronaut and a conversation heart glued on that read "You Send Me". It was unforgettable.
But anyway--in preparation for this year, I've been thinking of all the ways we're going to celebrate. I have some special little Valentine gifts for all the kids in my Bible Club at the TN School for the Deaf, and even though I was very busy today, I made time in my schedule to stop at a drugstore & pick up some Valentine candy for them as well. I went in the store, Lily & Lola in tow, taking care to pick a type of candy that I thought the kids would enjoy. It really wasn't convenient, but I didn't mind because I know it's for my ministry.
So, after a few minutes, Lola decided she didn't want to be there anymore & Lily got tired of helping me hold some things, so we went to the register where I saw Her. This woman was standing there, blocking the counter where I was supposed to be. I heard a cashier telling her to step back & wait as they tried to resolve the problem she had, but the woman never moved. Meanwhile, as I stepped closer to her, my nose almost burned with the smell of cigarette smoke, and then she coughed in our direction. I waited for her to step aside, but when she didn't, I was forced to squeeze up beside her to reach the cash register. I began to think about how we were going to smell & what germs we were probably being exposed to that very second, and my frustration began to escalate. Lola began crying, and I was just dying to get out of there & away from this woman who was so getting on my nerves. And then she looked at me, smiled, & with a raspy voice, commented on how I had my hands full, but was doing a great job handling it all. It was then that I finally saw her. She was a person. She was a soul for whom Christ died. I was struck with the awareness of my hypocrisy. I was so busy doing "good", sacrificing for my ministry, that I was ready to trample whatever got in the way.
Why do I so often say I care about groups of people, yet forget that individuals make up those groups? I even notice other Christians I know doing this same thing, even risking losing their testimony over ridiculous things, yet sometimes I do the same things.
So, as of today, I've added something else to the list of ways to celebrate Valentine's Day: Love.




4 comments:
Julie, thanks for making an all to real common situation ring bells loudly for us all.
Never thought I'd get emotional about a rocket-shaped valentine's box. It's the pregnancy. Thanks for the reminder to love individuals....even ones with smoke coming out their noses.
Hi Jul,
Happy Valentine's Day! I saw you called the other day, and it seems like we haven't been home since! I plan on calling you this weekend, and hopefully, we can touch base. I miss you! Hope you are having a great Valentine's Day! Thanks for the encouragement to love others even when it isn't easy!
I love ya!
Thanks for sharing about the birthday cake!=) I ended up getting food poisoning the night before her b-day...so my hubby just bought an icecream cake...which was fine, and yummy at that!=) I think I am going to try to attempt making for her next year! Thanks so much! Have a great day!
Post a Comment